Game Texture Size Guide
- 128 x 128 - On the large size for particle effects.
- 256 x 256 - For small discrete objects, like vases, pots, small flora, and small furniture, like stools or cushions.
- 512 x 512 - For larger furniture, like tables, recliners, cabinets, drawers, doorways, window facings, and discrete architectural elements like collumns, archways, statues. Also commonly used for character textures. Sometimes used for close-up first person weapons. Sometimes a variety of discrete objects might be mapped together and textured with the same texture, using different areas of the uv square.
- 1024 x 1024 - For wide surfaces like floors, walls, ceilings. Sometimes used for characters and vehicles.
- 2048 x 2048 - For vast areas like terrain, lakes, sky.
- 4096 x 4096 - Used only in rare cases, possibly for sky, or ocean.
Remember that large areas are commonly tiled. To break up the tiling effect, consider using vertex blending techniques, or projectors.